Working Hard to Achieve the Third Grade Reading Guarantee?
The K–3 ELA & Mathematics Common Core Vertical Progression Guide with Ohio’s Pre-K Learning Standards can help!
Educators have always known that the early childhood years set the stage and pace for success in school and in life. Every child is entitled to a firm foundation in physical well-being and motor development, language and literacy development, and cognition and general knowledge.
Teachers of Pre-K through grade 3 must compel all students to ascend their academic staircases to literacy and numeracy, support those who hesitate or falter, and inspire and propel those who can surpass their peers. In Ohio, these teachers also are guiding all students toward achieving the Third Grade Reading Guarantee.
To assist teachers in preparing all students to obtain the foundational knowledge and skills they need to succeed, Battelle for Kids is pleased to introduce the K–3 ELA & Mathematics Common Core Vertical Progression Guide with Ohio’s Pre-K Learning Standards.
The K–3 ELA & Mathematics Common Core Vertical Progression Guide with Ohio’s Pre-K Learning Standards supports educators’ efforts to:
- Identify a sequential, grade-to-grade overview of developmental learning progressions for Pre-K through grade 3 in ELA and mathematics.
- Identify the knowledge and skills students need to succeed at a targeted step.
- Determine how Ohio’s Standards for Early Learning for 3-5 year olds interface with and provide a scaffold for Ohio’s New Learning Standards.
- Assist with implementation of Ohio Diagnostic Assessments for the Third Grade Reading Guarantee.
- Guide teachers in planning learning experiences that combine language and literacy development with cognition and math, science, and social studies knowledge.
- Differentiate programs to meet the needs of students whose skills are below, on, or above grade level.
- Support Response to Intervention and Multi-Tier Student Support Systems 1, 2, and 3.
- Map and vertically align concepts to support formative instructional practices and suggest opportunities for assessment.
- Facilitate teacher team collaboration and professional learning.